Although initially established as a University of London facility
(still reflected in the name), the Observatory has been exclusively managed
by University College London since 1951.
It is a hands-on teaching observatory,
part of the
Department of Physics and Astronomy.
We are equipped with five permanently mounted
lecture/classrooms, and a specialist astronomy library. We are reasonably easily accessible
from the main Bloomsbury campus, ensuring that students have good
access to the telescopes.
In addition to observing, students are trained in data-reduction techniques,
the practical applications of astrophysical theory, and computational astronomy.
This training can take place in the context of an
student project, or, for interested
members of the public, as part of our higher-education
ULO remains active in
scientific inquiry, with a strong
observational research programme
in extrasolar planets.
We are in the process of expanding our observing capabilities with the
development of unattended (remote & robotic) observing modes,
which we hope will culminate in a new
large robotic telescope,
a project for which funding is currently